Sunday, November 3, 2019

Boredom(?)

I get bored very easily. In fact, every couple of days, I tell my wife life is getting boring.
I sat down and started thinking, what exactly do I mean when I say "life is boring" ?

I used to wake up at 9 am or even post 9 am and this has been for past say 10 or so years. I drive to work for about 10 years. In fact, I drive to every place I have to go. I used to eat out every meal until I got married. Now most of the meals are at home, but still frequency of eating out is much higher. The moment we feel lazy, we go out and eat. We watch TV for hours when we don't feel like doing anything. We hardly read. I work long hours and come back home tired enough to eat and sleep.

Looking at this routine of past 10 years, I can definitely say that it is boring. The key word is "convenience".
In my opinion, I have created this life of convenience around myself and this has what has taken the "fun" out of me. It is not that I was bored each and every hour of these 10 or so years.

I worked in a startup in NYC for 4 or so months and then continued that in SF for about 7 or so months. That was such a fun life and the key part was that I was always out of my comfort zone. I woke up at 7 only to run to a subway station in NY. It took me an hour or so to reach. I bought a breakfast bagel or a cheese omelet from a Deli run by Asian family close to office. It was crazy the office as soon as the stock market started. I used to lunch at different places every day. Every day at office was dependent on how our customers were reacting and so it was different each day. At around 9 in the evening, we used to get out of the office and walk into a bar for a drink. We had dinner then some work and retire back at 1 am. Weekend was all about  booze and clubbing.

It was sure crazy and sure fun. NO boredom. Every thing we did was out of our comfort zone and probably that's what we need to do once or so a day to feel not bored.

So, this is hat I am trying to do things out of the comfort zone. I don't want to drive and instead take public transport to office. For some days, I come back home and cook.

Another think that I want to do is to slow down the pace a bit. Rather than try doing a lot of activities in a day or month, do things at a slower pace. Try to take interest in things and not just do them.

No comments: